The International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) is a non-governmental
International Organization which provides a forum for the exchange of knowledge
and experience in dam engineering. The Organization leads the profession in ensuring
that dams are built safely, efficiently, economically, and without detrimental effects
on the environment. Its original aim was to encourage advances in the planning,
design, construction, operation, and maintenance of large dams and their associated
civil works, by collecting and disseminating relevant information and by studying
related technical questions. Since the late sixties, focus was put on subjects of
current concern such as dam safety, monitoring of performance, reanalysis of older
dams and spillways, effects of ageing and environmental impact. More recently, new
subjects include cost studies at the planning and construction stages, harnessing
international rivers, information for the public at large, and financing.
The Commission pursues its goal through:
The science of dam engineering and water management has
been and is being advanced through ICOLD activities. The Committee for International
Commission on Large Dams, (INCOLD) is the Indian Committee interacting with ICOLD
Central Office in Paris and helps in dissemination, in India, of information about
new developments in dam engineering, besides projecting India's expertise at international
level through participation in various events of ICOLD. Indian experts are many
a time invited to officiate as members of ICOLD Committees on specialized topics.
Presently Indian representatives are members in 12 technical committees out of 19
committees of ICOLD.
- Technical Committees which issue some 2-10 technical books, bulletins and register
in a year
- Three-yearly Congresses with discussions on four technical subjects
- Technical Symposia in non-Congress years
- Technical lectures following with Symposia
- Workshops organized by the Technical Committees
To promote objectives of the Committee which include:
4. To encourage membership in the Committee.
- The advancement of dams planning, development, management, science & technology,
research and education at International level.
- The establishment of an National forum for planners, administrators, managers, scientists,
engineers, educators & others who are associated with dam engineering.
- Encouragement & collaboration with and support of International programs in the
fields of dam engineering including cooperation with other organizations, in the
activities of common interest.
iii) To host the ICOLD Meetings.
iv) To provide an information service to all concerned with Dam
Engineering about the development of techniques, new trends and experience gained
by others to enable updating of knowledge.
v) To allow specialists in the various disciplines to discuss their
experiences, research work and of techniques at various form.
vi) To act as a coordination body in India for International Commission
on Large Dams.
The above objectives are being achieved by:
- By constituting of INCOLD Committees on the various topics in line with ICOLD technical
- By circulating the draft reports/bulletins received from the Technical Committees
of ICOLD among the experts in India to elicit their comments/suggestions. Discussions
on these are included in the agenda of the Annual Meetings of ICOLD, held in various
- To publish Newsletter Half yearly
- To organize/conduct workshop and symposia at a regular interval to address the various
issues in dam engineering.
- To publish technical literature and to contribute information on different aspects
of water resources development and management.
- To provide forum for the decision makers, planners etc. to exchange information
on the various issues such as dam safety evaluation, rehabilitation and resettlement,
RCC dams, instrumentation of existing dams etc.
- To arrange contribution of more numbers of papers in the ICOLD Congress/Symposia/Workshops
etc. projecting the national expertise in the field of dam engineering.